Friday, August 08, 2014

Friday's Odds and Ends

Well, last night President Obama took some drastic action in Iraq. I'd been so disconnected from the news for so long, I had no idea things had been heating to a boiling point over there. I do applaud the action of dropping much-needed food and other supplies to the Iraqi religious minorities that are stranded on top of a mountain. Tens of thousands of people are being displaced as the terrorists attempt to take over the Iraqi government. Check out the story on ABC News.

However, I'm wary of  engaging the militants in any way. The President has authorized U.S. airstrikes in northern Iraq, if necessary, to counter advancing Islamic militants and the threat they pose to Americans as well as Iraqi civilians.

Let's just hope and pray it doesn't come to that.

Since that news is so depressing, I decided to go play with some memes this morning. We see them all the time on Facebook, but I have never tried to create my own. Here are a couple I did with some of the pictures of my animals.



The cat was Orca, and he and Poppy were actually good buddies. When Orca disappeared, we were not sure who missed him the most, us or the dog.

This next one is an image I saw on the site where I played with the memes, MemeGenerator, and it made me think of the old Budweiser beer commercial. How many of you remember the line?


And now the joke for the day:
Reaching the end of a job interview, the Human Resources Officer asks a young engineer fresh out of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, "And what starting salary are you looking for?" 

The engineer replies, "In the region of $125,000 a year, depending on the benefits package."

The interviewer inquires, "Well, what would you say to a package of five weeks vacation, 14 paid holidays, full medical and dental, company matching retirement fund to 50% of salary, and a company car leased every two years, say, a red Corvette?"

The engineer sits up straight and says, "Wow! Are you kidding?"

The interviewer replies, "Yeah, but you started it." 

4 comments:

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

ah ha ha...thanks for giving me a grin

Maryannwrites said...

So glad you enjoyed the humor.

ABEhrhardt said...

Oldie but goodie - nowadays the engineer would expect more, including stock options. And a much higher salary. Why aim low?

Maryannwrites said...

So true, Alicia. I have no idea how old this joke is.